DM-13 Eternal Phoenix
This ability features on both creatures and spells. It allows a creature to be summoned or a spell to be cast for 1 less mana for each of your creatures of any specified race currently in the battle zone. The cost of cards decreased in this way can't be less than either 1 (or 2 for a multicolored card).
The latest reminder text for Sympathy reads;
|Sympathy: "RACE" (This creature/spell costs 1 less to summon/cast for each of your "RACE" creatures in the battle zone. It can't cost less than X.)|
|Water Nature/ Creature |
Earth Eater + Giant
■ (This creature is put into your mana zone tapped.)
■ Sympathy: Earth Eater and Giant (This creature costs 1 less to summon for each of your Earth Eater and Giant creatures in the battle zone. It can't cost less than 2.)
■ When you put this creature into the battle zone, you may draw a card for each of your Earth Eaters in the battle zone. Then you may draw a card for each of your Giants in the battle zone.
■ Double breaker
Cards with the Sympathy ability
(NOTE: These rulings were written before DM-14's release, which did not featured monocolored creatures with the Sympathy ability. Multicolored reatures with 2 civilizations can't have their cost reduced less than 2, whereas monocolored creatures can have their cost reduced to 1.)
- Q: How do I use Sympathy?
- A: Sympathy is an ability that lowers the cost of summoning the creature. Sympathy specifies two different races, and if you have any creatures of the specified race in the battle zone, you pay 1 less mana for each of these creatures in the battle zone in order to summon the creature. However many creatures of the specified race you have in the battle zone, you can't decrease the creature's summon cost to less than 2.
- Q: If I have 1 creature that is of both races specified by Sympathy, does the cost go down by 2?
- A: No, the cost goes down by 1 for each creature, so it doesn't go down by 2. It goes down by 1.
- Q: I have one creature in my battle zone. It has both races specified by Sympathy on a spell card. Does the Sympathy spell's cost go down by 2?
- A: No, it only decreases by 1 mana for each 1 creature. It is the same as when trying to summon a creature like this. (see the previous question)
- Q: If I have other means of reducing the cost of using spells, like Essence Elf, can I use Sympathy at the same time?
- A: Yes, you can. However, no matter how many different ways you are using to reduce the spell's cost, you cannot play a spell for less than 1 cost.
Double Breaker ● Triple Breaker ● Quattro Breaker ● World Breaker
Deck evolution ● Mad Deck evolution
Graveyard evolution ● Graveyard Vortex evolution
Graveyard Galaxy Vortex evolution ● Galaxy Vortex evolution Omega
Hand evolution ● Hand Vortex evolution
Mana evolution ● Mana Vortex evolution
Mana Galaxy Vortex evolution ● Neo Evolution
Super Infinite evolution ● Super Infinite Graveyard evolution ● Super Infinite evolution Omega
Ultimate evolution ● Ultimate evolution MAX
Vortex evolution ● Galaxy Vortex evolution