Destroy is a keyword action.
As most creatures don't feature any resistance abilities, they are often easy to remove by cards that destroy creatures.
The effect of destroying objects is most commonly seen in the Darkness and Fire civilizations, represented by cards such as Terror Pit (Fixed Removal) or Reckless Cut Scrapper (Cost Based Removal). It is also possible to destroy your opponent's creatures by attacking your opponents tapped creatures.
You can destroy your own creatures or your opponent's creatures. If a card tells you to destroy something, you can only choose a creature—not a cross gear, castle, shield or a card in the mana zone unless the card says specifically mentions that card type.
- Destroyed creatures and put into their owner's graveyard. However, Substitution Effects such as Perfect Madonna, Light Weapon and those with "can't be destroyed" abilities such as Immortal Boost, Crimson Lord can stay in the battle zone.
- A creature that has lost a battle and a creature that has its power reduced to 0 by Decrease Power is destroyed. This is a state-based action of the game rules, not the effect of a card.
- Destruction based on a battle is commonly known as "combat destruction".
- Don't confuse the moving of cards from other zones as "Destroy". Although Card Discard and Mana Burn are often referred to as "Hand Destruction" and "Mana Destruction" respectively, even if a creature is put into the graveyard, if it's from a zone other than the battle zone, it won't be treated as "destroy".
- Psychic cells and Evolution Sources are not treated as a creature by themselves. Therefore, even if a creature is sent from the battle zone to the graveyard, it may not be considered as being destroyed. For example, if the evolution source is put into the graveyard with card removal. the evolution source is not treated as a creature, so it isn't considered as being destroyed. More details can be seen on Card Based Removal and Graveyard Feed.
Cost and Trigger Ability
The effect of "destroying" as a cost, and the ability to trigger "being destroyed" are different.
- Wicked Soul Reincarnation allows you to draw 2 cards for each creature you put into your graveyard, regardless of whether they remain in the battle zone or not (See Cost).
- Super Trash Train, Fuuma Devil doesn't allow you to draw a card unless the card enters the graveyard (see Trigger Ability).
The above 2 situations can be summarized with the following.
- "To Destroy" refers to "putting a creature [object in the battle zone] into a graveyard" and the timing of the "when destroyed" effect functions when it enters the graveyard. (Example: The Destruction Replacement effect of Hanzou, Menacing Phantom)
- "Destroyed" refers to "a creature [object] was put into a graveyard from the battle zone". If the text refers to "when a creature is destroyed", the timing will trigger. (Example: The Trigger Ability of Super Trash Train, Fuuma Devil)
Even if you lose a battle and your creature is put into a graveyard, it is considered as "destroy". It triggers any abilities that occur "when you put this creature into a graveyard" and "when this creature is destroyed".
- While the "destroy" word is used for a lot of slang when a lot of cards are put into the graveyard from zones other than the battle zone, (such as Hand, Mana, Shield or Deck), none of these are treated as "destroy" and Put Into Graveyard abilities aren't triggered.
- For all forms of removal cards, see Removal.
Awaken ● Battle ● Block ● Break ● Cast ● Charge ● Cross
Destroy ● Discard ● Dragsolution ● Expand ● Forbidden Liberate
Fortify ● Gachinko Judge ● Generate ● Gacharange Summon ● Link ● Reveal ● Seal
Search ● Shuffle ● Summon ● Switch ● Tap ● Trigger ● Upside Down ● Use
Ability ● Artist ● Card Illustration ● Card Name ● Card Number
Card Rarity ● Card Type ● Cost ● Civilization ● Mana Cost ● Mana Number
Power ● Race ● Soul ● Subtype ● Summon Cost ● Supertype
Dragheart Creature ● Dragheart Fortress ● Dragheart Weapon
Evolution Creature ● Evolution Cross Gear
Evolution Dragheart Creature ● Evolution Exile Creature ● Evolution Psychic Creature
Exile Creature ● Final Forbidden Creature ● Final Forbidden Field ● Forbidden Core ● Forbidden Creature
Forbidden Field ● Forbidden Impulse ● Gacharange Creature ● Happiness Field ● Moonless Night Field
Mono Artifact ● Neo Creature ● Neo Evolution Creature ● Neo Gacharange Creature ● Orega Aura
Psychic Creature ● Psychic Field ● Psychic Super Creature
T2 Field ● Ceremony of Zeron ● Zeron Creature ● Zeron Nebula
Super Deck Zero Duel ● Start Deck Champion Finals
Adds Civilization ● Adds Race ● Alternate Win ● Alternative Cost
Attack Bend ● Basic Card ● Cantrip ● Card Discard ● Chump Block
Cost Reduction ● Deck Manipulation ● Degenerate ● Diamond State
Draw Engine ● Draw Lock ● Draw Source ● Draw Spell
Extra Turn ● Finisher ● Graveyard Fertilizer ● Graveyard Summon
Hand Addition ● Hand Change ● Increase Power
Infinite ● Infinite Attacker ● Infinite Blocker
Mana Acceleration ● Mana Burn ● Mana Curve ● Mana Summon
Opponent Reliance ● Peeping ● Prevents Attack ● Prevents Defeat
Reset ● Resistance ● Reverse Fury Charge ● Reverse Slayer ● Shield Addition
Shield Burn ● Shield Change ● Shield Peek
Suicide ● Skip the rest of the turn ● Trample
Unattackable ● Unblockable ● Unchoosable
Vigilance ● Win All Battles ● 3D Dragsolution
Cards that can be put into the Battle Zone at the start of the game
Blocker Based Removal ● Bounce ● Can Attack Untapped Creatures
Card Based Removal ● Decrease Power ● Fixed Removal ● Force Battle ● Mass Removal
Power Based Removal ● Reset ● Sealing ● Self Removal ● Tap In ● Tap and Destroy
4 or more of this card in your deck ● Activation Cost ● Additional Cost ● Attacking Creature
Can't be destroyed ● Choose a race ● Color Accident ● Concept ● Consists of ● Counter
Dead Card ● Deck Building ● Deck Compression ● Designer's Combo ● Evolution Icon
Evolution Source ● Face Up ● Forced ● Gacha Figure ● Game
Game Table ● Hyperspatial Cost ● Key Card ● Limited Card ● Mode ● Name Rule
Optional ● Overkill ● Play ● Power Creep ● Quasi-Vanilla ● Real Cost ● Repair
Rock-Paper-Scissors ● Stop ● System Creature ● The Over Eggplant-cross
Touch ● Trivia card ● Twinpactification