Cost has 2 meanings in Duel Masters.
It refers to the following;
- 1) Characteristic: The Mana Cost that appears on the upper left corner of the Card Frame. It is referred to as cost in the text.
- 2) The processing and payment necessary for certain cards. It refers not only to the mana cost, but any other Additional Costs included in the effect of the ability.
Explanation of 1
|Light / Creature |
In the case of a card that starts in your hyperspatial zone, instead of paying mana, you put them into the battle zone by the effect of cards such as Hyperspatial spells. These cards refer to the cost of the card which is known as the Hyperspatial Cost.
While they are used and described differently, in the text field of a card, they are both collectively expressed as "Cost".
Explanation of 2
|Darkness / Spell |
■ You may destroy one of your creatures. If you do, draw 3 cards.
|Fire / Creature |
■ Double breaker
■ Whenever this creature attacks, you may put one of your shields into your graveyard. If you do, destroy one of your opponent's creatures that has power 6000 or less.
In the effect clause of the ability, it is written as "If you do A, do B". If you can't do the A condition, you can't do the B effect.
However, in the case of Volcanic Arrows, "Choose one of your shields and put it into your graveyard." is written as part of a secondary effect, and not as a condition for the first ability. Therefore, it's not treated as a cost and you may remove a creature even if you don't have a shield to remove.
Rules of Cost
- In the case of "If C, do D" represented by the "If you do, EFFECT", it is possible to pay the cost assuming that the "If you do" condition was paid. However, if there was even one card corresponding to "C", you won't have paid the cost if you don't use it. For example) If you summon Zeta-File, Zenith of "Mystery", even if you destroy no other creatures, you are still able to reanimate any Demon Commands from your graveyard. If you had any other creatures, you must destroy them in order to reanimate.
- The cost is paid even if other events occur such as the cost being increased or decreased, or replaced with a Continuous Effect such as a Substitution Effect. For example, if you destroy Aqua Soldier with Dark Soul Creation, it will return to your hand, but as the Destroy cost was paid, you can draw 3 cards.
- When referring to the cost paid by an effect, it isn't possible to refer to the substituted cost. However, if the cost is paid for by destruction, even if the destruction is replaced, it can be counted for abilities that include "for each creature destroyed in this way". For example, if the destruction is replaced with the ability of Perfect Galaxy, Spirit of Immortality when destroyed by Zabi Mira, the Reviving Shaman, you can put out a Psychic Creature.
- There are various effects that can refer to the total cost of the card that is paid, including Mana Cost, Cost Reduction, Additional Cost, Alternative Cost and Cost Increase.
- The cost for using an Activated Ability is called the Activation Cost.
Awaken ● Battle ● Block ● Break ● Cast ● Charge ● Cross
Destroy ● Discard ● Dragsolution ● Expand ● Forbidden Liberate
Fortify ● Gachinko Judge ● Generate ● Gacharange Summon ● Link ● Reveal ● Seal
Search ● Shuffle ● Summon ● Switch ● Tap ● Trigger ● Upside Down ● Use
Ability ● Artist ● Card Illustration ● Card Name ● Card Number
Card Rarity ● Card Type ● Cost ● Civilization ● Mana Cost ● Mana Number
Power ● Race ● Soul ● Subtype ● Summon Cost ● Supertype
D2 Field ● DG Field ● DM Field
Dragheart Creature ● Dragheart Fortress ● Dragheart Weapon
Evolution Creature ● Evolution Cross Gear
Evolution Dragheart Creature ● Evolution Exile Creature ● Evolution Psychic Creature
Exile Creature ● Final Forbidden Creature ● Final Forbidden Field ● Forbidden Core ● Forbidden Creature
Forbidden Field ● Forbidden Impulse ● Gacharange Creature ● Happiness Field ● Moonless Night Field
Mono Artifact ● Neo Creature ● Neo Evolution Creature ● Neo Gacharange Creature ● Orega Aura
Psychic Creature ● Psychic Field ● Psychic Super Creature
T2 Field ● Ceremony of Zeron ● Zeron Creature ● Zeron Nebula
Super Deck Zero Duel ● Start Deck Champion Finals
Adds Civilization ● Adds Race ● Alternate Win ● Alternative Cost
Attack Bend ● Basic Card ● Cantrip ● Card Discard ● Chump Block
Cost Reduction ● Deck Manipulation ● Degenerate ● Diamond State
Draw Engine ● Draw Lock ● Draw Source ● Draw Spell
Extra Turn ● Finisher ● Graveyard Fertilizer ● Graveyard Summon
Hand Addition ● Hand Change ● Increase Power
Infinite ● Infinite Attacker ● Infinite Blocker
Mana Acceleration ● Mana Burn ● Mana Curve ● Mana Summon
Opponent Reliance ● Peeping ● Prevents Attack ● Prevents Defeat
Reset ● Resistance ● Reverse Fury Charge ● Reverse Slayer ● Shield Addition
Shield Burn ● Shield Change ● Shield Peek
Suicide ● Skip the rest of the turn ● Trample
Unattackable ● Unblockable ● Unchoosable
Vigilance ● Win All Battles ● 3D Dragsolution
Cards that can be put into the Battle Zone at the start of the game
Blocker Based Removal ● Bounce ● Can Attack Untapped Creatures
Card Based Removal ● Decrease Power ● Fixed Removal ● Force Battle ● Mass Removal
Power Based Removal ● Reset ● Sealing ● Self Removal ● Tap In ● Tap and Destroy
4 or more of this card in your deck ● Activation Cost ● Additional Cost ● Attacking Creature
Can't be destroyed ● Choose a race ● Color Accident ● Concept ● Consists of ● Counter
Dead Card ● Deck Building ● Deck Compression ● Designer's Combo ● Evolution Icon
Evolution Source ● Face Up ● Forced ● Gacha Figure ● Game
Game Table ● Hyperspatial Cost ● Key Card ● Limited Card ● Mode ● Name Rule
Optional ● Overkill ● Play ● Power Creep ● Quasi-Vanilla ● Real Cost ● Repair
Rock-Paper-Scissors ● Stop ● System Creature ● The Over Eggplant-cross
Touch ● Trivia card ● Twinpactification